Servings: Makes 4-6 servings
- 2 bags (10 ounces) spinach , stems removed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup regular or nonfat half-and-half , warmed
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper , to taste
Wash spinach well in a large sink of lukewarm water. Lift the spinach leaves out of the sink (do not spin dry) and transfer to a large bowl.
Place about half of the spinach and any water clinging to their leaves in a large saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the spinach wilts, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining spinach and cook until all of the spinach is wilted and tender, about 5 minutes more. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water.
A handful at a time, squeeze the excess water from the spinach and set the spinach aside.
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour and let bubble without browning for 1 minute. Whisk in the half-and-half and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook just until lightly thickened and no raw flour flavor remains, about 3 minutes. Stir in the spinach and nutmeg and cook until the spinach is heated through, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.