Cream of Tomato Soup with Shrimp
- 3/4 pound (25 to 31 count per pound) medium unshelled shrimp
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons (1/2 stick plus 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter , divided
- 1 medium rib celery , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh marjoram or oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Meanwhile, melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the shallots and garlic, and cook, stirring often, until the shallots soften, about 2 minutes.
Add the flour and stir well. Add the tomatoes with their juice. Stir in the reserved broth, half-and-half and marjoram and stir well. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, until the soup is lightly thickened, about 30 minutes. Season the soup with salt and pepper.
Just before serving, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring often, just until they turn opaque. Season with salt and pepper. Stir the shrimp into the soup and serve hot.