This rich, delicious soup is lovely on a winter's day. It's a wonderful addition to any holiday meal, too!
Servings: Makes 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1 cup Sauternes (a sweet French wine)
- 4 cups chicken stock (veal stock is preferable if available)
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) pureed chestnuts
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped parsley or chervil for garnish
In a medium saucepan, heat butter on medium heat. Add shallots and sauté for 10 minutes. Add Sauternes and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
Add chicken or veal stock, bring to a boil and reduce heat. Add chestnut purée and whisk until smooth. Add cream, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve immediately, garnished with chopped parsley or chervil.
From her book Carolyne Roehm's Winter Notebook
Printed from Oprah.com on March 8, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.