Servings: Makes about 3 1/2 cups
- 1 large navel orange
- 1 bag (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 Bosc pears , peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 stick (3 inches) cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds , toasted*
Grate the zest from the orange and squeeze the juice.
Bring the cranberries, pears, orange juice and zest, ginger, sugar and cinnamon to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, until almost all of the cranberries have popped and the juices are syrupy, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a container and cool completely. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight to marry the flavors. Remove the cinnamon stick. (The chutney can be prepared up to 1 week ahead.)
Just before serving, stir in half of the almonds, and garnish with the rest. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
* To toast nuts, spread the nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and lightly toasted, about 10 minutes. Cool completely before using.
Adapted from Art Smith's Back to the Table