This gloriously sweet-and-tart chutney is easy to make and packed with cranberries and juicy bits of pear and apple. It's one of 13 easy-to-make treats from Stir! Mix! Bake! Give!
Servings: Makes 8 cups, about 4 pint-size jars
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries , picked over and stemmed
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 (6-ounce) Granny Smith apples , peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 (6-ounce) firm Bosc or Anjou pears , peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small (5-ounce) yellow onion , diced
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup diced crystallized ginger
In a deep 6-quart saucepan, combine cranberries, sugar, 1 1/4 cups water, cloves, cinnamon sticks, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently to dissolve sugar. Cook until berries begin to pop open, 10 to 12 minutes. Adjust heat so mixture barely simmers. Stir in apples, pears, onion, raisins, and ginger. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until thick, 10 to 15 minutes longer. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool to room temperature. Discard visible cinnamon sticks and cloves.
Refrigerate in tightly sealed jars for up to 2 months. Attach a ribbon and gift tag with suggested serving ideas (for instance, "Serve with Christmas turkey or ham, or spread on turkey sandwiches").
Printed from Oprah.com on December 6, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.