- 6 Tbsp. (3/4 stick) butter , softened
- 2 Tbsp. blackberry jam
- 1 tsp. finely grated lime zest
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour , plus more for kneading
- 2/3 cup coarse-ground cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8 Tbsp. (1 stick) butter , chilled and cubed
- 3/4 cup sour cream
To make the biscuits, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to combine. With a pastry cutter or fork, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in the sour cream and pull the dough together into a ball. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat it into a 3/4-inch-thick round. Using a 3-inch cutter, cut as many rounds as you can, then reroll the dough and cut out the remaining biscuits.
Transfer the biscuits to the baking sheet and bake until light brown, about 15 minutes. Serve the biscuits hot, accompanied by a good dollop of blackberry butter.
The Deen Family Cookbook © 2009 by Simon & Schuster