- 3 tablespoons whole cumin or 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons finely ground coffee
- 2 teaspoons ground chilies , such as ancho
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 2 pounds filet mignon (beef tenderloin), trimmed
In a small bowl, combine cumin, coffee, chilies, paprika, salt, and pepper; pour onto a large plate. About 1 hour before roasting, roll filet in spices. Set aside at room temperature. Preheat oven to 375°. Roast beef 25 minutes for medium rare, or until center registers 125° on a meat thermometer. Transfer to a platter. Tent loosely with foil; let rest 10 minutes. Slice before serving.
Note: Ground cumin can be substituted for the whole, toasted seeds.