Servings: Makes 12 4-inch waffles
- 1 ripe mango , peeled, pitted, and cut into small cubes
- 1 pint strawberries , hulled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter , melted
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large eggs , beaten
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (not sweetened cream of coconut)
- 1/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- Fresh mint , for garnish
Toss the mango, strawberries and sugar in a medium bowl. Cover and let stand until the fruit gives off some juices, about 90 minutes.
Heat a waffle iron according to the manufacturer's directions. Lightly oil the grids.
Meanwhile, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl to combine. Make a well in the center and pour in the melted butter, milk, eggs and coconut milk. Whisk just until smooth; do not over-mix. Mix in the coconut.
Spoon about 1/4 cup of the batter into the center of each quadrant of the waffle iron and close the iron. Cook until the waffle is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
Serve the waffles hot, spooning the compote on top. Garnish with the mint leaves.