Mango salsa and fresh cilantro brighten the dense flavor of crunchy, coconut-crusted shrimp.
Servings: Serves 4
- 1 cup finely chopped mango
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped jalapeno
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro , plus additional for garnish
- 1 pound large shrimp , peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt , plus additional
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites , lightly whisked
- Vegetable oil , for frying
To make sauce: In a medium bowl, combine mango, fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, jalapeño, onion, garlic and cilantro. Stir until sugar is dissolved; set aside.
To prepare shrimp: Rinse and pat dry; sprinkle with salt. In a small bowl, mix together coconut and flour; spread onto a large plate. Dip each shrimp into egg whites, then roll in the flour mixture to coat thoroughly.
In a 9-inch frying pan over high heat, add about 1 inch oil. When oil is sizzling, carefully add 2 or 3 shrimp at a time and cook until coconut is golden brown, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side. Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel. Sprinkle shrimp with additional salt while still hot. Serve warm with mango sauce; garnish with cilantro.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 10, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.