Rachael Ray calls it "fun-due!" This easy appetizer will please crowds!
Servings: Serves 4
- 1 large clove garlic , crushed out of its skin
- 1 1/4 cups dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese , shredded
- 8 ounces Emmentaler cheese , shredded
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup kirschwasser (cherry brandy)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- White pepper or cayenne
- Cubed ham
- Marinated mushrooms or whole sautéed fresh button mushrooms
- Blanched asparagus or white asparagus
- Whole trimmed radishes
- Small dill pickles or cornichons
Rub the inside of a small pot with the garlic, then discard the garlic. Add the wine to the pot and bring up to a bubble over medium heat. Reduce heat to simmer and add the lemon juice, then the cheeses in handfuls. Stir constantly in a figure-eight pattern with a wooden spoon, melting the cheese in batches. When the cheese has been incorporated fully, stir the cornstarch into the brandy in a small bowl and then stir the brandy into the cheese. Season the fondue with the nutmeg and white or cayenne pepper, to taste. Transfer the fondue to a fondue pot and serve.
* For more information about Rachael Ray, visit www.rachaelrayshow.com.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 9, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.