This chicken's got it all—sweetness, tang and a bevy of nutrients.
Servings: Serves 4
- 1 (3 1/2 to 4 pound) chicken , cut into 8 pieces, skin removed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dried apricots , halved
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons minced, peeled fresh ginger
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous , cooked according to package directions
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds (fresh or packaged)
Preheat oven to 375°. Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
In a 5-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken to Dutch oven in batches and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer chicken pieces to a plate.
Add onion and garlic to Dutch oven and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cumin and garam masala and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute; stir in flour, then 1/2 cup water, chicken broth, apricots, lemon zest, and ginger. Bring sauce to a boil, stirring; return chicken to Dutch oven. Cover and bake until chicken is cooked through and tender, about 40 minutes. Serve chicken over couscous; spoon sauce over and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
611 calories (32% from fat); 22 g fat (5 g saturated, 10 g monounsaturated, 7 g polyunsaturated); 45 g protein; 58 g carbohydrates; 6 g fiber; 137 mg cholesterol; 123 mg calcium
Printed from Oprah.com on March 8, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.