- 1 loaf chocolate babka (see below), torn into 1-inch pieces (or 8 cups loosely packed cubes)
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 9 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (12.3-ounce) dulce de leche (see below)
- 2 cups heavy cream or whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
In a bowl, mix milk, cream, eggs, sugars, cinnamon, vanilla and salt until well combined. Pour mixture slowly over bread. Set aside 15 minutes. Heat dulce de leche 1 minute in microwave to soften; stir half into pudding. Place the baking dish on prepared sheet pan and bake 1 hour and 25 minutes (custard should still wobble when done). Remove from oven and swirl remaining dulce de leche on top. Allow to set.
Serve pudding warm with whipped cream.
To make whipped cream, if desired: Using a hand mixer, beat cream, sugar and vanilla at medium speed until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use. Makes 4 cups.
Chocolate babka: A sweet dessert bread, similar to coffee cake; available at specialty food stores and bakeries or online at www.ebabka.com.
Dulce de leche: A sweet milk sauce made from milk, sugar, baking soda and vanilla; we recommend La Lechera dulce de leche by Nestlé, available at www.mexgrocer.com.