April Bloomfield's take on an Italian favorite: creamy chickpea soup with rosemary and red pepper flakes.
Servings: Serves 6
- 3 tablespoons olive oil , plus additional for drizzling
- 8 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cans (15 to 19 ounces each) chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, rosemary and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring constantly, until garlic starts to brown, about 1 minute. Add chickpeas and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes; let cool slightly.
Transfer 1 cup of soup at a time to a blender; cover loosely and puree until just smooth. Return to saucepan. Repeat two more times. Stir lemon juice and salt into soup to taste. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 9, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.