Servings: Serves 6
- 3 tablespoons olive oil , plus additional for drizzling
- 8 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cans (15 to 19 ounces each) chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, rosemary and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring constantly, until garlic starts to brown, about 1 minute. Add chickpeas and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes; let cool slightly.
Transfer 1 cup of soup at a time to a blender; cover loosely and puree until just smooth. Return to saucepan. Repeat two more times. Stir lemon juice and salt into soup to taste. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.