Servings: Serves 4–6
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion , finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas , drained
- 1 Tbsp. Italian herb seasoning
- 4 cups water or chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted peppers , cut into thin strips
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté, stirring constantly until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté just for 1 to 2 minutes to bring out the garlic's fragrance. Add the chickpeas and Italian seasoning, mixing well.
Pour in the stock, and reduce the heat to medium low.
In a food processor or a blender, puree the contents of the jar of red bell pepper strips (or your own red peppers if you already have some roasted). Add the red pepper puree to the soup and simmer for about an hour. Season with salt and pepper before serving.