Servings: Serves 4
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 inches fresh ginger , unpeeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- 4 Thai or regular basil leaves , plus more for garnish
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 full breast)
- 1 package (12 ounces) udon , cooked according to package instructions
In a large pot, combine broth, ginger, soy sauce, lime juice, salt, pepper flakes and basil leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add chicken breast and simmer 15 more minutes. Remove chicken from broth and transfer to a cutting board. Allow to cool, then cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
Meanwhile, strain broth and discard solids. Season with additional salt if desired. In each of 4 bowls, mound 1/2 cup cooked noodles and top with 3 or 4 chicken slices. Pour hot broth over top. Garnish with additional basil leaves.