Chicken and Biscuits
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 5 tablespoons butter , divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), 2 turns of the pan
- 2 large carrots , peeled and sliced into half inch thick discs
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 4 ribs celery from the heart chopped
- 2 large russet potatoes , peeled and chopped
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- 1 bay leaf , fresh or dried
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped, a generous handful
- 3 tablespoons (a generous handful) chopped fresh dill
- 2 tubes ' ' bake off biscuits , store bought, any brand or variety
- A few pinches cayenne pepper
Heat a large deep pot over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons butter plus 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan. When butter melts into oil add all chopped vegetables. Season with salt and pepper, add bay leaf, cook vegetables 10 minutes until they begin to become tender. Do not brown vegetables; you just want to sweat them out a bit. While vegetables are working, over small skillet over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter, whisk in flour, and cook a few minutes to form a roux. Remove and reserve.
To the vegetables add the chicken and stock that you cooked the chicken in, pouring stock through a strainer to remove any by-products from poaching the chicken. Whisk roux into your completed chicken and vegetable mixture. Simmer until vegetables are tender and sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.
While chicken works, bake off biscuits to package directions, sprinkle the tops of each biscuit with a little bit of cayenne pepper just before they go in the oven.
When ready to serve, stir peas, dill and parsley into chicken. Split biscuits and place in bottom of shallow bowls and ladle chicken on top.
* For more information about Rachael Ray, visit www.rachaelrayshow.com.