Serves 6 to 8
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 12 ounces andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 pound), cut into 1" chunks
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Creole seasoning
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice, for serving
- Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
Active time: 25 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and chicken, being careful not to crowd (cook in batches if necessary). Cook until all sides are golden, then transfer with a slotted spoon to a plate, leaving fat in the pot.
In the same pot, lower heat to medium, then add butter and flour. Cook, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon, until the mixture turns deep golden brown, about 12 minutes.
Add onion, celery, bell pepper, and Creole seasoning to pot and cook, stirring, until vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, stock, and reserved sausage and chicken. Bring pot to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve gumbo warm over rice with a dash of hot sauce, if using.
More Soup Recipes