- Grated zest and juice of 2 limes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups (12 oz) fresh corn kernels (from about 2 ears of corn, grilled if desired)
- 2 cups (12 oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 canned green chilies, chopped
- 1 cup (8 fl oz) corn oil
- 4 corn tortillas, each 6 inches in diameter, halved
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups (3/4 lb.) shredded cooked chicken meat
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- Fresh cilantro leaves and sliced green onion for garnish (optional)
To make the vinaigrette, in a bowl, whisk together the lime zest and juice, garlic, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Add the oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly until the vinaigrette is smooth.
Transfer 3 Tbsp. of the vinaigrette to a large bowl and add the beans, corn, tomatoes, and chiles; mix gently. Reserve the remaining vinaigrette. Let the salsa stand for at least 10 minutes to blend the flavors.
Meanwhile, in a frying pan, warm the corn oil over medium-high heat. When it is hot, slip 3 tortilla halves into the oil and cook until golden and almost crisp, 1-2 minutes. Using tongs, transfer to paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining tortilla halves.
Add the lettuce to the reserved vinaigrette and toss to coat. Place 2 fried tortilla halves on each of 4 plates and divide the lettuce among them. Spoon the salsa over the lettuce, top with the chicken and avocado, garnish with the cilantro and green onion, if desired, and serve.
Williams-Sonoma Salad of the Day: 365 Recipes for Every Day of the Year (Weldon Owen) by Georgeanne Brennan.
More Salad Recipes