- 3 pound chicken , cut and skinned (or skinless chicken breasts, thighs, and legs)
- 1 medium-sized onion , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , skinned and mashed
- 2 medium-sized carrots , peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato , skinned and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds
- 1/4 cup white raisins
- Sprigs fresh cilantro
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Place a heat diffuser over your burner. The heat diffuser prevents the pot from burning or damage. Place the clay pot on the diffuser and turn on the burner to medium.
In a large bowl, combine the chicken, carrots, sweet potato, honey, allspice, cinnamon, salt, lemon juice and chicken broth. Lightly toss to coat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the tagine. When hot, add the onion, garlic and spices. Cook until soft, around 6 minutes.
Add the combined ingredients to the tagine. Cover the pot and simmer for about 40 minutes, or until done. Remove from the oven and garnish the tagine with raisins, toasted almonds and fresh cilantro.
Recommended technique: Most clay pots need to be soaked and dried for several hours. This is called "seasoning" the pot. If your pot is not seasoned, plan ahead and season it. Once it is seasoned, you'll need to repeat the process about once a year.