Servings: Serves 4
- 2 pounds chicken cutlets , cut into strips
- 2 bunches asparagus , blanched and shocked
- 6 cups flour
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 cups grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 6 lemons , zested
- 1 bunch fresh thyme , stripped off the stems and chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 gallon light olive or vegetable oil
Heat 2 inches of oil in a deep skillet just over medium heat. If you don't have a thermometer, place the handle-end of a wooden spoon in the oil. If little bubbles appear around the handle, you're there.
Divide the flour between 2 large resealable bags and season with salt and pepper. Whisk together the eggs and milk in a shallow dish. Combine the breadcrumbs, cheese, lemon zest and thyme. Divide the breadcrumb mixture between 2 large resealable bags.
Place the blanched asparagus in one of the bags of flour and the chicken strips in the other bag of flour. Give them a good shake. Transfer the asparagus first to the egg mixture and then transfer to the breadcrumb bag. Next, do the same to the chicken strips. Shake them up in the breadcrumb bags until coated completely. Carefully place the asparagus in the hot oil and fry until golden brown. Repeat with the chicken strips. Make sure to salt the asparagus and chicken strips as soon as they come out of the oil to get the best flavor.
* For more information about Rachael Ray, visit www.rachaelrayshow.com.