Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
Recipe created by Paula Skelton
October 26, 2009
Paula Skelton, a first-time contestant at the State Fair of Texas, won Best of Show in the All-American Casserole contest.
- 1 large hen or 2 to 3 pounds chicken (skin on)
- 1 package (12 ounces) spaghetti
- 1 Tbsp oleo
- 1 bell pepper , chopped (any color)
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 rib celery , finely chopped
- 1 can golden mushroom soup
- 2 cans (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and chilies
- 2 cups grated Velveeta cheese
Place chicken in a large pot and add 2 quarts of water. Boil until tender (30 to 40 minutes). Reserve broth for cooking spaghetti. Cool, skin and remove bones. Cut into 1-inch cubes. In a skillet on top of stove, sauté pepper, onion and celery in oleo, until tender. Add soup tomatoes and chicken to sauté mixture, simmer. Break spaghetti in thirds. Cook spaghetti in chicken broth (about 2 quarts of broth, do not drain, leave in pot). Grate cheese. Mix chicken, soup mixture and cheese into spaghetti with broth. Mix together and pour into a 9" x 13" casserole dish. Bake at 350° for one hour.
Printed from Oprah.com on June 19, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.