I like to serve the sandwich open-faced (without the second slice of bread) because, like everyone else, I'm also trying to watch calories. If you'd rather have a traditional sandwich, make sure to slice the sandwich in half open-faced first, then slice the top piece of toast in half and place it on top of the sandwich. Otherwise, the delicious insides will ooze out!
Servings: Serves 4
- 2 cups chicken breasts , diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. scallions , finely chopped
- 2 tsp. parsley , finely chopped
- 4 fresh basil leaves , finely chopped
- 2 tsp. jalapeño , finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. celery , finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon
- 6 slices seven-grain bread or 6 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 medium tomatoes , sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 lemon , cut in half
- A pinch of kosher salt
Place the first 9 ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
Cut the tomatoes in 1/4-inch slices.
Toast 4 slices of the bread.
Spread 1/3 of a cup of chicken salad over toast and top it with four slices of tomato, a pinch of kosher salt and pepper.
Peel and seed the avocado, slice thin, squeeze lemon juice on both sides to keep it from turning brown. Add it to the sandwich.
Optional: Slice the jalepeño and add it to the sandwich.
You can serve this chicken salad in a pita pocket or on rye, sourdough or toasted ciabatta bread!
Printed from Oprah.com on June 18, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.