I don't know any kid who doesn't like chicken nuggets. Just don't tell them what's hidden inside!
Servings: Serves 4
- 1 cup whole-wheat or white or panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup broccoli or spinach or sweet potato or beet puree
- 1 large egg , lightly beaten
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenders , rinsed, dried and cut into small chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
In a bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, flaxseed meal, Parmesan, paprika, garlic and onion powder on the paper or foil and mix well with your fingers.
In a shallow bowl, mix the vegetable puree and egg with a fork and set the bowl next to the breadcrumb mixture.
Sprinkle the chicken chunks with the salt. Dip the chunks into the egg mixture and then toss them in the breadcrumbs until completely coated.
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the oil. Place the chicken nuggets in the skillet in a single layer, being careful not to crowd the pan, and cook until crisp and golden on one side, 3 to 4 minutes. Then turn and cook until the chicken is cooked through, golden brown and crisp all over, 4 to 5 minutes longer. (Cut through a piece to check that it's cooked through.) Serve warm.
Printed from Oprah.com on December 12, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.