Servings: Serves 4
- 1 1/2 cups rinsed, drained uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 5 Tbsp. canola oil , divided
- 2 large eggs , beaten to blend
- 2 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts , cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 small peeled and finely diced carrots (about 4 ounces total)
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli , cut into small pieces about 1/4 inch in size
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tsp. toasted sesame oil
Combine 2 2/3 cups water, rice and 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a rice cooker, and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer the steamed rice to a baking sheet to cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until cold.
Heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil in a large wok over medium-high heat. Add the eggs and stir with a fork for about 30 seconds or until just cooked. Remove the eggs from the wok and set aside on a plate.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the wok, season chicken with salt and pepper and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove chicken to a plate. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of canola oil in the wok over medium-high heat.
Add the carrots and broccoli to the wok, and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the cold rice, and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the eggs, chicken and 3/4 of the green onions. Add the soy sauce and sesame oil and continue to stir-fry for 1 minute. Transfer the rice to a bowl and sprinkle with the remaining green onions.