Servings: Serves 6
- 3 tablespoons low sodium Tamari
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds chicken breast , skinned, boned, and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1/4 pound mushrooms , cleaned and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 stalks celery , cut into 1/4-inch diagonal slices
- 1/8 pound pea pods , trimmed
- 3 scallions , thinly sliced (use both the bulb and the green leaves)
- 1 cup lightly toasted almonds *
- 1 teaspoon (toasted) Asian sesame oil (available in natural food stores)
For marinade: In a medium glass or ceramic bowl, combine all the ingredients for the marinade. Add the chicken and let sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes and up to an hour.
For stir-fry: Heat a wok or large skillet. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Stir-fry the broccoli over medium heat until it turns a bright color, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
Reheat the wok. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Stir-fry the mushrooms, celery and pea pods for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the wok and set aside.
Reheat the wok. Add the remaining tablespoon of the olive oil. Remove the chicken from the marinade with a slotted spoon, add to the wok, and stir-fry until the chicken is opaque throughout, about 5 minutes. Add all the vegetables and the almonds, and stir to mix well. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with the toasted sesame oil. Serve immediately over cooked whole oats or barley.
* To toast the almonds, place in a preheated 350°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.