- 2 pounds ground pork
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 3 small onions , finely chopped
- 4 to 5 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 dried bay leaf ,' 'very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned or coarse grits
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
In 1/3-cup measurements, shape mixture into 24 1/2-inch-thick patties.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook patties in batches until well-browned and fully cooked through, about 5 minutes per side, reducing heat slightly if necessary. Keep cooked patties warm in a low oven.
To make grits: In a large saucepan, combine 4 cups water and salt and bring to a boil. Slowly stir in grits; reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until they become thick, 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in half-and-half and butter. Add cheese and stir until melted. Serve hot with sausage patties.