Servings: Serves 12–15
- 2 pounds (about 5 to 6) Idaho potatoes , peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup heavy cream , brought to a boil and kept warm
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup chives , additional for garnish
- 4 slices bacon
In a large saucepan place, cover the chopped potatoes with cold water and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook until potatoes are very tender when stabbed with a fork, about 15 minutes. Drain well. Return to the saucepan and add the cream and butter. With a hand mixer, blend until just smooth (do not over-whip).
Fry the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels. When cool enough to handle, crumble into 1/4-inch pieces, set aside. Add 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and the chives. Garnish with the remaining cheddar cheese and additional chives and bacon. Season generously with salt and pepper and serve immediately.