Get the menu for Cat Cora's backyard party
Makes 8 servings (4 cups)
- 2 large ripe but firm avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 1 or 2 jalapeños
- ½ pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch-thick rings
- ½ red onion, sliced into ½-inch-thick rings
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2¼ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice, from 2 limes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small tomato, cored and chopped
Total time: 30 minutes
This can be made up to five hours ahead; cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent browning, then refrigerate until ready to serve.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Brush avocado, jalapeños, pineapple, and onion with oil, pepper, and 1¼ tsp. salt. Arrange on grill and cook, gently flipping once, until just charred and softened, 6 to 8 minutes for the avocados and 8 to 10 minutes for the pineapple, onions, and jalapeños; transfer to a sheet tray.
When cool enough to handle, dice avocados and pineapple and transfer to a large bowl. Finely chop jalapeños (removing seeds, if you like it less spicy) and onions and add to the bowl. Add remaining 1 tsp. of salt and rest of ingredients and toss gently to combine.
Per serving: 101 calories, 5 grams fat, 1.5 grams protein, 14 grams carbohydrates. Plus 39 percent Daily Value of vitamin C, 26 percent of vitamin A