Get the menu for Cat Cora's backyard party
You can find dried orange zest in the spice aisle, or you can finely grind home-dried zest
in a spice grinder.
- 3 Tbsp. dried orange zest
- 1½ Tbsp. chili powder
- 2¾ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- ⅓ cup sherry vinegar
- 6 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 4 dried bay leaves
- 2 poblano peppers, stemmed and roughly chopped (for less heat, remove the seeds)
- 2 serrano peppers, stemmed and roughly chopped (for less heat, remove the seeds)
- 1 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- ½ cup packed fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup packed fresh oregano leaves
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 (12-inch) wooden skewers
- Canola oil, for greasing
- 1/2 tsp. distilled white vinegar
DirectionsActive time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 1/2 hours
In a large bowl, combine orange zest, chili powder, 1½ tsp. salt, and pepper. Add chicken and toss; refrigerate 30 minutes.
Preheat a grill to medium-high. Soak the wooden skewers in water 20 minutes. Place vinegar, garlic, bay leaves, poblanos, and serranos in a food processor; pulse until smooth. Add parsley, basil, and oregano and pulse again to make a coarse chimichurri paste. With the motor running, pour in olive oil. Transfer to a bowl and add 1¼ tsp. salt. Set aside.
Thread chicken pieces onto skewers. Grease grill grates with canola oil. Arrange skewers on grill and cook, flipping once, until chicken is cooked through and golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Arrange kebabs on a platter and spoon chimichurri sauce over the top.
Per serving: 403 calories, 27 grams fat, 34 grams protein, 4 grams carbohydrates.