- 1 medium onion , diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder or garam masala
- 1 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes (2 medium), peeled and diced
- 1 pound carrots (about 5), peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock or canned chicken broth
- 1/2 loaf of bread , cut into 3/4-inch cubes (6 cups)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small roasted jalapeno (recipe follows), minced
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
Meanwhile, toss the bread cubes in a bowl with 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden. Set aside.
Add the jalapeño to the soup, gradually, to taste. Remove from heat and cool slightly. In small batches, puree the soup in a blender.
Return the soup, along with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, to the saucepan. Reheat, adding water or chicken stock (up to 1 cup) to thin, if needed. Serve in a tureen, with croutons and crème fraìche on the side.
To roast jalapeño: Place jalapeño on a broiler pan and set 4 inches from heat source. Cook 10 to 12 minutes, turning when browned. When cool enough to handle, scrape off the peel and remove the core and seeds.