- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds ' ' carrots (about 10 medium), peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 5 cups vegetable broth , chicken broth or canned low-sodium broth
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper , or more to taste
- 1 bay leaf , dried or fresh
- 1/2 cup milk , whole or reduced-fat
- 1 cup plain unflavored yogurt , at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint or other fresh herbs, such as chives, thyme, tarragon or dill, or a combination
Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, partially covered, until the carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes. Remove the thyme sprig and bay leaf.
In batches, purée the vegetables and liquid in a blender or food processor. Pour the soup back into the pot and stir in the milk. Season to taste with salt and additional pepper and reheat over medium heat until piping hot.
Ladle into soup bowls and top each serving with a dollop of the yogurt and a sprinkling of mint or other herbs.