This recipe requires parchment paper and two 9-inch cake pans.
Servings: Makes 1 cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour , plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup honey , slightly warmed
- 1 cup light brown sugar , firmly packed
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup crushed pineapple (fresh or canned), plus 1/4 cup juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups shredded carrots , loosely packed
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup shredded coconut , preferably unsweetened
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 containers (8 ounces) soy cream cheese , chilled
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar , firmly packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
To make cake: Preheat oven to 350°. Grease two 9-inch cake pans with vegetable oil cooking spray, line bottoms with parchment paper and grease the paper. Dust with flour and shake off excess. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and baking soda. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat eggs, honey and brown sugar with a wooden spoon until well combined. Stir in vegetable oil, pineapple juice and vanilla until well combined. Add flour mixture and stir until well combined. Add pineapple, carrots, walnuts, coconut and raisins. Stir until well combined.
Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of each cake comes out almost clean. Remove cakes from oven and let cool 10 minutes in pans on a wire rack. Run a knife around sides of each pan and invert cakes onto racks. Let cool completely before frosting.
To make frosting: With an electric mixer, beat soy cream cheese until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add brown sugar and vanilla and beat 2 more minutes.
Place one cake on a cake plate. Coat top with about 1/2 cup frosting and place second cake on top of the first. Frost sides of entire cake before frosting the top. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Printed from Oprah.com on December 11, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.