This recipe is part of our fresh spring dinner party menu.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 6 cups thinly sliced red or yellow onions (about 3 1/4 pounds)
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 pound chicken livers , rinsed and trimmed
- 1 small onion , coarsely chopped
- 1 small clove garlic , minced
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt , plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper , plus more to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 2 tsp. cognac
- Toasted baguette , for serving
- Mixed greens , for serving
To make crostini: In a medium saucepan, combine chicken livers, onion, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Add 1/2 cup water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until livers are barely pink inside, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
Discard bay leaf. Strain liquids and transfer liver mixture to a food processor; pulse until coarsely pureed. With the machine on, add butter 2 tablespoons at a time, until incorporated. Mix in cognac, and season to taste with salt and pepper if desired (the texture should be nearly smooth). Serve warm on toasted baguette with onion marmalade on top, and with mixed greens on the side.
Note: Instead of spreading the warm chicken liver mixture on the baguette, you can chill and slice it.