Caramel-Fleur de Sel Mug Cake Recipe
Makes 2 mug cakes
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. caramel sauce, store-bought or homemade
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 6 Tbsp. (1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp.) self-rising flour
- 1/2 tsp. fleur de sel
- 4 caramel candies, preferably salted
- Toppings (optional): Creme fraiche, fresh peaches, salted peanuts, chopped pecans or a drizzle of vinegar-caramel sauce
In a large mug, whisk together the butter and sugar with a fork. Stir in the egg, vanilla, caramel sauce and milk. Add the flour and 1/4 teaspoon of the fleur de sel. Beat the batter until smooth. Divide the batter between two mugs. Top each mug with a pinch of the remaining fleur de sel. Microwave separately for 30 seconds each. Place two caramel candies on the top of each partially cooked mug cake, then continue cooking 1 to 1 1/2 minutes more until risen and firm.
Try this recipe using cajeta, the Mexican caramel made with goat's milk. Its unique flavor will hook you.
From Mug Cakes: 100 Speedy Microwave Treats to Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth (St. Martin's Griffin) by Leslie Bilderback.
More Quick and Easy Desserts