Servings: Serves 4 (Makes 8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 bird's-eye chilies , seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds , crushed
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 packages (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach , thawed
- Juice of 2 to 3 limes (about 1/4 cup), plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When oil is so hot it shimmers, add onion, garlic and chilies. Sauté until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
Add cumin, coriander, chicken stock, coconut milk, clam juice and heavy cream; bring to a gentle simmer. Cook, partially covered, 30 minutes.
Add spinach and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until spinach is cooked, about 5 minutes.
In a blender, puree soup in batches until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in lime juice and salt to taste. Serve hot.