Servings: Serves 4
- 1 cup seasoned croutons
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 pound linguine
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 to 6 anchovy fillets (more or less, according to your taste), minced
- 1 tablespoon capers , rinsed and dried
- 3 whole cloves garlic , minced
- 12 heads baby romaine or 3 heads regular romaine , tough bases removed, cut into fourths crosswise (about 3-inch pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan , plus additional for table
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a food processor, pulse croutons into large crumbs. Set aside.
Bring a large saucepan filled with water to a boil. Add sea salt. Cook pasta according to package directions. Strain, and reserve 1/2 cup pasta water.
Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan over medium-high flame, heat olive oil. Add anchovies and capers and sauté 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic, lettuce, cracked pepper and lemon juice. Sauté just until lettuce wilts, about 1 minute. Stir in cooked linguine and Parmesan; if dry, add reserved pasta water. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide into individual pasta bowls and top with bread crumbs.