- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion , chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 butternut squashes , peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage , plus 8 to 18 leaves for garnish
- 4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- Vegetable oil , for frying
In a small pan, heat 1/2 inch vegetable oil until hot. Drop sage leaves in about 3 at a time and fry until just crisp; remove to a paper-towel-lined plate. Serve soup hot, garnished with 2 or 3 sage leaves per bowl.