Try this delicious recipe!
Servings: Makes 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 shallots , chopped
- 1 clove garlic , finely chopped
- 1 butternut squash , peeled, seeded, and chopped into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 cup barley
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/3 cup whole sage leaves , chopped
- 1/2 pound Brie cheese , cut into small pieces (optional)
In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. When foamy, add shallots and stir frequently for 4-6 minutes until golden brown. Add garlic and squash; season with salt and pepper. Stir in barley until well coated with oil. Add broth and 1/2 cup water. Add chopped sage and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover for 35 minutes until barley and squash are tender. Remove from heat and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with Brie.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 8, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.