Servings: Makes about 8 cups (large batch: 24 cups)
- 2 cups sugar (large batch: 6 cups)
- 6 Tbsp. butter (large batch: 18 Tbsp.)
- 1 1/2 cups pecans (large batch: 4 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts (large batch: 4 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup peanuts (large batch: 3 cups)
- 1 cup pine nuts (large batch: 3 cups)
- 1 Tbsp. flaky sea salt , such as Maldon, plus more to taste (large batch: 3 Tbsp.)
- 2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg (large batch: 6 tsp.)
Total time: 35 minutes
Lightly grease a large sheet tray; set aside.
In a large, deep skillet, combine 2/3 cup water, sugar, and butter and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until butter is melted, 3 to 4 minutes. Add pecans, walnuts, peanuts, and pine nuts and cook, stirring gently and frequently, until sugar mixture dries out and begins to look powdery, 12 to 15 minutes. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until toffee coating is dark golden brown and glossy, about 10 minutes more.
Remove skillet from heat and quickly stir in salt and nutmeg. Carefully transfer mixture to prepared sheet tray, spreading it evenly. (Be careful—the mixture is very hot!) Sprinkle with more salt and set aside to cool completely.
Notes: Use raw, unsalted nuts in this recipe, since they get plenty of toasting in the skillet. You can substitute cashews for any nut.