You can boil the Brussels sprouts, as explained in step 1, a day in advance. If you do, rinse with cold water to stop cooking and refrigerate until you're ready for step 2.
Servings: Serves 8–10
- Kosher salt
- 4 1/2 cups (3 containers) Brussels sprouts , trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely sliced onion (about 1 small onion)
- 3 large cloves garlic , thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- 8 slices turkey bacon , cooked and crumbled
In a large pot, bring 8 cups water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil over high heat. Add Brussels sprouts and cook 5 minutes, until slightly tender. Drain well.
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook 3 to 5 minutes, until just tender. Add garlic and Brussels sprouts. Cook, stirring frequently, until Brussels sprouts are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Season with pepper, nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Transfer to a bowl. Add turkey bacon and serve.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 6, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.