- 4 strips bacon , cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 2 pounds brussels sprouts , thinly sliced (discard tough outer leaves)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans , optional
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (2 pounds), peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 1/3 cup Vermont maple syrup *
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
- Minced Italian parsley , for garnish
In a 12-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Reduce heat to low; add onion and cook about 5 minutes, until translucent.
Add brussels sprouts and cook, stirring frequently until slightly soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and add reserved bacon, salt, pepper and pecans. Add potato slices to pan and cook until light brown, about 3 minutes per side.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together maple syrup and butter.
Toss all ingredients together in soufflé dish and bake 20 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve.
* Dark amber maple syrup is preferred (available online at www.bairdfarm.com).