These brownies fool everyone! You won't believe how scrumptious they are (or how good they are for you) until you make them yourself. Just don't serve them warm—it's not until they're completely cool that the spinach flavor totally disappears.
Servings: Makes 12 brownies
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup carrot puree
- 1/2 cup spinach puree
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup oat flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 350°. Coat an 8" x 8" baking pan with cooking spray.
Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or over a very low flame.
In a large bowl, combine the melted chocolate, vegetable purees, sugar, cocoa powder, margarine and vanilla and whisk until smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.
Whisk in egg whites. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt with a wooden spoon.
Pour the batter into the pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into 12 bars.
Printed from Oprah.com on May 22, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.