- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup carrot puree
- 1/2 cup spinach puree
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup oat flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or over a very low flame.
In a large bowl, combine the melted chocolate, vegetable purees, sugar, cocoa powder, margarine and vanilla and whisk until smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.
Whisk in egg whites. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt with a wooden spoon.
Pour the batter into the pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into 12 bars.