- 1 large bunch broccoli (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 medium leeks , white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 medium baking potato , peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic , thinly sliced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup half-and-half (optional)
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
In a medium saucepan, heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring often, until softened and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add broccoli stems, potato, and garlic, and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add 3 cups water, broth, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover partially and simmer until broccoli and potato are tender, about 12 minutes.
Add florets; bring to a boil and then simmer 5 minutes. Transfer soup in batches to a blender or food processor, and puree until smooth. Return soup to saucepan; add half-and-half (if using) and chives, and reheat briefly.