Servings: Serves 4
- 4 tablespoons red onion , chopped
- 4 tablespoons red pepper , chopped
- 2 blocks (16 ounces) soft tofu , drained and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (a pungent, yellow-orange spice)
- 1 can (15 ounces) cooked black beans
- 4 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup fat-free cheddar cheese , grated
- 1 tomato , diced
- 4 tablespoons salsa
- 4 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- Salt and pepper , to taste
In a non-stick pan, sauté the red pepper and onion until they turn light brown. Add the tofu and turmeric (the spice will give the tofu a yellow color). Break up the tofu cubes by crushing with a fork, and cook for about 40 seconds, or until there is no moisture remaining. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Cook the black beans according to the directions, and spoon a portion onto each plate. Arrange the tortillas on your work surface. Into each, spoon 1/4 of the onion, red pepper and tofu mixture. Fold the tortilla sides over the filling, and roll them up. Cut each burrito in half, and place two halves on each plate. Spoon 1/4 of the diced tomato, salsa and grated cheddar cheese over each burrito, and top with 1 tablespoon of fat-free sour cream. If desired, serve with one link of turkey sausage per burrito.
473 calories, 14.1 grams fat, 2.1 grams saturated fat, 4 mg of cholesterol, 341 grams sodium, 54.7 grams carbohydrate, 9.3 grams fiber, 37.0 grams protein