This braised fennel is meltingly soft!
Servings: Serves 10
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces pearl onions (about 2 cups), peeled
- 3 large fennel bulbs (about 2 1/4 pounds), trimmed, cored and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram or oregano leaves
- 1 to 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
In a large, deep skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add fennel and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until fennel begins to soften, about 5 minutes more.
Add broth, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until fennel is tender-crisp, about 10 minutes.
Uncover, increase heat to high and cook until almost all the liquid evaporates, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove bay leaves, stir in marjoram and vinegar and cook about 1 minute more.
Printed from Oprah.com on May 24, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.