Bob Greene's Cheesy Corn Bread
Recipe courtesy of Bob Greene
February 04, 2010
Servings: Serves 4
- 1/3 cup cornmeal , preferably whole grain
- 3 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 Tbsp. healthy spread , such as Smart Balance Butter Spread, melted
- 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/3 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup liquid eggs , such as Better'n Eggs
- 3 Tbsp. fat-free milk
- 3 1/4 ounces low-sodium, low-fat cheese (with about 50 calories and no more than 35 milligrams of sodium per 1 ounce)
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
Combine all the ingredients except for the cooking spray in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
Spray a 9-inch heavy bottomed skillet with the cooking spray. Pour the mix into the skillet and bake until springy to the touch, about 15 minutes. This tastes best served right out of the oven.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
From The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes by Bob Greene, John J. Merendino Jr., M.D., Janis Jibrin, M.S., R.D. Copyright 2009 by Bestlife Corporation. Reprinted by permission of Simon & Schuster, Inc.
Per Serving, about: Calories: 170; Protein: 11g; Carbohydrates: 22g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 2g; Total Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 6mg; Calcium: 339mg; Sodium: 357mg
Printed from Oprah.com on December 11, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.