- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 extra-large egg
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 pound smoked salmon , thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- Fresh dill , for garnish
- Salmon caviar (roe), for garnish
Whisk together flours, baking powder, salt, egg, milk and 1 tablespoon clarified butter until smooth. Heat 2 tablespoons clarified butter in a small skillet and drop batter in 1 tablespoon at a time. Cook on medium-low heat until bubbles form on top side of blini, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until brown. Repeat with remaining batter.
Place 1 piece of smoked salmon on top of each of the blini. Add a dollop of crème fraîche, a dill sprig and a sprinkling of salmon caviar, if desired. Serve immediately.