The cornbread can be made 1 to 2 days in advance. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap; when ready to serve, warm cornbread in a moderate oven 10 to 15 minutes. Wait to drizzle honey until just before serving.
Servings: Serves 8–10
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cracked black pepper , plus more for garnish
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/3 cups low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
Preheat oven to 425°. Grease a 9 x 13 pan. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, pepper and salt. In a small bowl, combine milk, eggs, butter and oil and mix well. Add milk mixture to cornmeal mixture and stir until just combined. Pour into prepared pan and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes. Heat honey until warm and easy to pour. Pour over cornbread and garnish with additional black pepper if desired.