The secret to these is browning them, and then cooking them in a little water, which sizzles off and leaves the burgers nice and moist.
Makes 6 burgers
- 2 pounds ground beef or turkey
- 1 medium-size egg
- 1 package (1 ounce) dried-onion-soup mix
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil (optional)
- Sliced cheese of your choice, for serving (optional)
- 6 hamburger buns, for serving
- Lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, mayonnaise, mustard, onions and/or avocado (or anything else that interests you!), for serving (optional)
Place the ground beef, egg and onion-soup mix in a large bowl. Mix well with your hands. Mold the beef mixture into 6 doughnut-shaped patties, each about 1/2-inch thick.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat, adding the oil if using very lean beef or turkey. Add the patties and cook, turning once, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
From Come Home to Supper (Workman) by Christy Jordan.
More Skillet Recipes
Printed from Oprah.com on Tuesday, March 11, 2014
© 2014 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.